Author Topic: Welcome R7 Messageboard Refugees  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome R7 Messageboard Refugees
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
We received word today of the closing of the R7 and R4 boards. If you\'ve traveled over here from there seeking solace and a new home, you\'re in the right place :)

Please feel free to jump right in and post away! We\'re small, at the moment, but hopefully you\'ll stick around and make this a thriving BBC Radio community.

Kronalias, who runs the Beebotron and this messageboard site, has very few rules...well, really only one (besides spam), \"Don\'t post anything you wouldn\'t want your kids to read. Other than that, it\'s pretty much your board.\"

So don\'t be shy! Jump right in :)

I\'ll start off by saying that I think closing the R7 board sucks! Seems to me there could have been other alternatives, like combining the boards together on one site, or something. Closing them all but The Archers (and what\'s up with that anyway?) seems pretty draconian to me.

Also, is there any truth to the rumor that we\'re losing Helen, Penny and Michaela as presenters?
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
Re: Welcome R7 Messageboard Refugees
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
As a comparative newcomer I hope I am not being too forward in adding to what Jan has said.    This Phorum is much more accessible than the BBC Boards.

For one thing its open all the time , so people all over the world can post whenever they want to , even on Bank Holidays.

Subjects  and the Pub are available for posting on issues not necessarily related to the BBC or Radio generally.   They include some jokes and funny stories , corny and otherwise.

The Magic Flute is for music lovers.    The recently opened \"Good Books and Readings\" is for people to discuss their reading favourite, whether in print, or audio books as well as Radio readings and dramatisations,,            I hope that people will use this to post recommendations on books they have recently read and  heard not just on the radio.

And the \"management\" are open to suggestions.  Both The Magic Flute and Good Books started as a twinkle in a poster\'s eye..

So do come in the water is fine!

Penny

Offline conion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »
Jan,
personally I\'d combine the \"Beebobabes\", \"Subjects\", \"Radio Matters\" and \"Pub-open All Hours\" boards as I never really know which to use and to leave four similar boards might be a gnat\'s tadge confusing to newcomers...

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
There was actually some logic to it.
  • Beebobabes - Initially for the women (and others that want to talk about the Archers)
  • Subjects - Non-radio based chat
  • Radio Matters - Non-Radio7 (R4X) chat
  • The Pub-Open All Hours - Out of hours chat and jokes.

...but nothing is set in stone. If you really want to merge the phorums, fairy nuff.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline That Old Janx Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Hello everyone!

I (Dame Celia Molestrangler as was) have joined and I look forward to dropping in here regularly. I work from home (I translate), so these message boards (along with The Bull and The Village Hall - two of the Archers message boards) are my \'water cooler\' so to speak.

I don\'t listen to The Archers any more. After over a decade of listening, I found it got too silly and I am a confirmed BBC 7 addict.

All the best and here\'s to the future! :)-D

That Old Janx Spirit

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »
Jan, my dear Jan, what HAVE you done????

I came over here to get away from those miserable, moaning beggars on the R7 board and now you\'ve invited them over to spoil the party.  Oh well, never mind, what\'s done is done, let\'s hope the worst offenders will head off to The Archers board.  From what I remember, most of them could play the Joe Grundy character without thinking about it.

To be more serious, what I would like is for Kronalius to create, \"The Room of Contentment\", to which one could only post messages that have positive content, i.e. recommendations of performers or programmes etc.  Any post to this phorum containing any form of negative criticism of anything, would be hidden for breaking the rules and attempting to spoil the general feeling of good will and bonhomie.

How about it K?  You could give the world it\'s first love-in phorum. ;)

Offline That Old Janx Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »
*sniff*

I only complain about another repeat of Les Miserables. And if that\'s not on, I\'m happy.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
I say, what an absolute honour! The Great Dame herself! Welcome, welcome, welcome!
Tru:)-D

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline splanky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »
Hello,

I too am a refugee from the 7 messageboards and am otherwise known as Pismotality - I\'ve a blog of that name, though it\'s mostly music.

Anyway, taking the hint, I shall endeavour  to transmit only happy and posistive thoughts in this forum - a task which should be easier with what seems to be the imminent departure of my weeknight nemesis on 7.

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
IvorThirst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was actually some logic to it.
>
>
  • Beebobabes - Initially for the women (and

> others that want to talk about the Archers)
>
  • Subjects - Non-radio based chat

>
  • Radio Matters - Non-Radio7 (R4X) chat

>
  • The Pub-Open All Hours - Out of hours chat and

> jokes.
>
>
> I dont think we should lose  or merge \"Radio Matters\" .  I have always been clear that it was for anything on Radio other than R7.  It serves a useful purpose  since as well as discussion  people (especially Jan, Bless Her),  post alerts to programmes they think others might be interested in.

For Subjects and The Pub have , however,  I also always been unsure of which to use, so perhaps they could be merged, or perhaps better one kept for the jokes (and btw they have been a bit sparse recently!) . and the other for more serious discussions on general topics.   I seem to remember The Pub was opened a couple of Christmases ago for people who were suffering withdrawal symptoms because the BBC Boards closed over the festive season, but that it water under the Bridge now and anyway all the Boards here are open all hours.

I have to declare an interest in \"Beebobabes\" since I am held responsible for it and would hate to lose it.         I have a sneaking suspicion someone was thinking that the females here would use it for chats about boyfriends, lipstick colours,  knitting patterns or other intimate female matters and their hopes of eavesdropping have been rather dashed!  But we do need somewhere where Archers Fans can retreat to avoid the brickbats that others throw at us   The Archers thread is , of course, be no means gender specific.

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »
Hi everybody. Welcome. Don\'t forget that we can use - nay expect - emoticons and can show our feelings of the current Beeb decisions. They are a load of t*ts.

Especially for Pen is a joke about the current situation, rather than in the Pub. \'The BBC cares!\'

Alright moan over.
.       Ivor

Accept no imitations.

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Ironeyes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> To be more serious, what I would like is for
> Kronalius to create, \"The Room of Contentment\", to
> which one could only post messages that have
> positive content, i.e. recommendations of
> performers or programmes etc.  Any post to this
> phorum containing any form of negative criticism
> of anything, would be hidden for breaking the
> rules and attempting to spoil the general feeling
> of good will and bonhomie.
>
Well, it has been a beautiful warm sunny spring day.  The sky was blue, the sea was blue , the waves sparkled and the turf was dotted with spring flowers.    Lunch with a friend was delicious.    After dinner, I finished reading a very enjoyable book and then listened to the radio, and in accordance with Ironeyes\' wishes, my comments on the programmes are

Penny

Offline SRD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:59:25 AM »
If we do have a great influx of refugees maybe \'Radio Matters\' will have to be split into individual station forum.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla

Offline Miltonsbones

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
Hi everybody!

I\'ve just heard about the closure of the radio 7 message board so I\'m jumping ship:)

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
Hi MB, welcome aboard. As you can see, one or two of our friends from the other universe have joined us. Have a read through the \'Help and Support\' section, if you haven\'t already done so. Without moving from the page, you can elect to search for old messages, send Private messages, look at the calendar and go to Listen Again - try clicking on \'Jump to Forum\'.
.       Ivor

Accept no imitations.