Author Topic: Radio 7 abolished  (Read 5700 times)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Radio 7 abolished
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »
That sounds familiar, Pen. Can\'t think of the name though.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline conion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
\"Whaddya mean diminishing? To an idiot like me,\"

The amount that they\'ll have available to spend on UK programmes, TV and Radio, is reducing in real terms after the licence fee was frozen, they have to pay for the World Service, they have to pay for the nonsensical move to Salford; the failure to sell off White City and other London buildings means they will have to work on the brioche line.

Also, the move to the catchup service (whose name escapes me) is delayed by a year.

So, hard decisions will have to be made.

Jan/Pen Fahrenheit 451 (as it now by law must be called Centigrade 232.77778).

As for Iplayer. I think, when they started the project there was nothing suitable. Once the project was outsourced and all the technically knowledgeable people were lost it became impossible to stop the careering juggernaut.

I believe that in 5 years, BBC R7/4x may well disappear as a live UK radio broadcast service, to be replaced by on-line only or an on-demand service. It\'s upsetting to some UK Listeners but I think it\'s inevitable.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
\"....they will have to work on the brioche line.\"

Fahrenheit wasn\'t the one I was thinking of Con, though it might have been the one Penny was.

There wasn\'t one available when they started working on iPlayer? Jeez, how long have they been at that thing?

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »
conion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they have
> to pay for the World Service, they have to pay for
> the nonsensical move to Salford; the failure to
> sell off White City and other London buildings
> means they will have to work on the brioche line.
>
> Also, the move to the catchup service (whose name
> escapes me) is delayed by a year.
>
> So, hard decisions will have to be made.

IT IS PRECISELY THOSE \"HARD*** DECISIONS\" WHICH CAUSE THE LACK OF FUNDS. THE BRAIN DEAD THERE DON\'T EVEN SEEM TO BE AWARE OF CONTENT probably can\'t spell the word. These cr**ins HAVE JOBS?????::o

Sorry Con obviously yelling isn\'t directed at you ... rather at the suits...
gotta grab me pills now ...
dizzy spell is upon me.
Now I feel I do know what it is to be epileptic.
Yeurch!

> Jan/Pen Fahrenheit 451 (as it now by law must be
> called Centigrade 232.77778).

Thanks for the prompt. Brilliant tale that!

***INSANE?

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
You know, I get the RSS Feeds for some of the BBC blogs. This one is from today, frombResearch and Development. I have no idea what these people are even talking about. And I\'ve been reading this for several weeks. (You can read some of the previous posts to get what I\'m talking about)

What exactly are they doing?

Offline conion

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 01:17:55 PM »
Janaru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know, I get the RSS Feeds for some of the BBC
> blogs. This one is from today, frombResearch and
> Development. I have no idea what these people are
> even talking about. And I\'ve been reading this for
> several weeks. (You can read some of the previous
> posts to get what I\'m talking about)
>
> What exactly are they doing?

It\'s what you get when the adult have been fired/outsourced and they are replaced by children.

author\'s weblog : http://blog.70cities.net/

Because of their youth and the eradication of experience they are wont to repeat the mistakes of their predecessors. They forget the mantra \"keep it simple\".  They know something complicated is allowed by the standards so they do it, rather that do what is desirable.

I had to deal with a marketing department that  had a 2 year turnover of staff. Every 2 years I had to explain to the children who had the same whizzo ideas that they weren\'t possible.

Oh, I didn\'t understand the blog either.

Old Age and Experienced Rant over.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
Thank gawd, Con, I thought it was just me. They\'ve been going on about these \"projects\" for awhile, and I can not for the life of me figure out what they\'re doing.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
Tee hee must be the hack\'s instinct, eyes glaze over before ever getting to read beyond line one of such links as those flagged! You and Con confirm my intuition was correct (eye-sight saving mechanism ... not to mention time8-) )

Peace, chill, bro/sis ...

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
My PC refuses to load Con\'s link!    Obviously it has more sense than I give it credit for, and realised I would blow a fuse!

Apart from anything else, surely there is a special level in Hell for people who murder the English language.:X

Offline conion

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:33 PM »
err, umm, awfully sorry, Con.    Id guessed the background (it is not actually totally unknown in other work spheres) but I am really not much wiser about the technology!

Offline SRD

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »
I wonder how my dear departed father-in-law\'s words would have sounded to the technically incompetent (relatively) of his day.  MrsSRD\'s father developed, and held patents jointly with the BBC for, the ribbon coil mic amongst other things, was responsible for an audio testing technique that is still in use today by the developers of the latest loudspeaker trends (as advertised in all sorts of magazines), was one of the chief engineers working on the development of BBC\'s own TV stereo system as opposed to the readily available American one (the family had stereo telly in the 1960s, not that he let them watch it; he could be a bit of a despot) amongst all sorts of stuff that that came out of Kingswood Warren (now abandoned I think).  They were an independent minded group, funded by the licence payer, who were almost allowed to play with anything that took their fancy.  Out of such things came great developments, but an awful lot of stuff was completely irrelevant.  Nowadays, when money is so much tighter, such freedom is no longer allowed (or funded).    I think that the BBC engineers of the last 30 years hark back to those days of freedom when the research was everything, the goal ignored, but nowadays, with cash constraints as they are, such attitudes, and the language used amongst themselves to describe them, are derided.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
Thanks for the interpretation, Con. Why didn\'t they just say that :P

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Radio 7 abolished
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
\"Janaru - You asked what is the BBC Research department doing? If you are unlucky enough to be a licence payer, what it is doing is wasting your money on a vast scale, on \"research\" projects that will typically come to nothing. \"

No, Ed, I\'m not a license payer, and don\'t really have a dog in the fight, except for the fact that I love BBC Radio, and recognize it as a British national treasure.

Actually, from everything I read (or at least, understand from what I read :S ), the international iPlayer looks like the only money maker in the deal. At least that\'s what I get out of it.

Yes, I saw the radio move, Ed. I think I posted about that too, somewhere on here, fairly recently.