Author Topic: Radio 7 abolished  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Radio 7 abolished
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
As I predicted some months ago, according to an email I received this week from the BBC Trust the BBC are abolishing Radio 7. A new station will replace it, called \'Radio 4 Extra\', which will repeat only current Radio 4 shows.

You can complain here: Complain to BBC

Details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/service_licences/service_reviews/radio_347/radio_347_final.pdf

Offline Kronalias

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Radio 7 abolished
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
This EdThread is now a Sticky (as in it stays at the top of the posts in the BBC7 Matters phorum).

You all have a say - see Ed\'s post.

Your choice -  use it or lose it...

K

Offline conion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »
K.
I think there\'s been enough discussion here and on the BBC7 message board. There is no mention anywhere of doing what Ed has suggested.

I think people should also read the current newsletter.

If the station is being abolished then perhaps Ed can give chapter and verse from the document.

I didn\'t see what he says when I read it a couple of days ago.

Offline Kronalias

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »
@Conion:

I confess - I got bored with the BBC7 Messageboard, and haven\'t looked in there for ages.  Also, \'abolish\' was probably the wrong verb, and \'change\' may have been better.

So let\'s leave it as a sticky for a while, hope that Rhys doesn\'t lurk here, and see what happens...

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »
Ed is not special. I, and many others, received the same email. The majority of us did not make the same rabble-rousing assumptions. At no point does is say that the only content will be ex-new-R4!
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
Harrumph, harrumph. Say it or not Ivor, me waters tell me he\'s likely spot on. I wish I could go along with Con\'s analysis ... in fact I have done till now, despite me waters ... and now Ed\'s gone and spoiled it all. I bet this Cassandra will prove to be right.

Yeurch! As I listen enthralled (for the \'enth time) to Brothers Karamazov (in a 5 hour marathon) and feel the magic of great literature thanks to fine radio adaptation, instinctively I mourn the demise of the Great Broadcasting Corporation.

It doesn\'t bear thinking about.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:16 AM »
I\'ve read the full report by the BBC Trust, and from what I\'ve read, Radio 7 is not being abolished (yet anyway).

The changes, as far as I can tell, are these:

Changing their name from Radio 7 to Radio 4 Extra
Removing CBeebies from broadcast to download only status
Increasing Drama output from 50 hours per week to 55 hours per week
Increasing Comedy output from 50 hours per week to 55 hours per week
Reducing children\'s content from 1400 hours per year to 350 hours per year
Changing the children\'s content to family friendly programs instead of targeting children only and increase promotion for that slot
Double cross promotion between R4 and R4 Extra.
Cap any R4 catch-up programing to 15 percent of R4 Extra output

Here are some of the parts of the report that reflect this...

And to help get an idea where they are heading with this, here\'s a quote from this week\'s R7 Newsletter:

\"New\" series from Radio 4 will possibly include Desert Island Discs (we had tried to schedule this in the early days of Radio 7, but were unable to get the rights) and we will also have access to more recent Radio 4 comedy and drama such as the acclaimed John Le Carre Smiley dramatisations.

There will also be some comedy premieres and new stand up shows.

I can assure you that there will be NO news, NO sport, or weather reports, NO extended You and Yours, Any Questions, The World At One or \"documentaries about the money market\"!

This is an entertainment station!

We will not be repeating The Archers, (although we are considering some Archers\' element we can pilot).

Regarding children\'s programmes, CBeebies Radio will be available online only, which allows us to repeat comedy and sitcoms in the wee small hours of the morning for our insomniac listeners.

There will be a \"family-friendly\" hour every day from Monday to Friday, consisting of stories, quizzes and features which appeal to children and adults alike. We are also introducing a regular Sunday drama slot for older children, and I can reveal that I have just commissioned a wonderful \"young classic \" for this - The Silver Sword, by Ian Serraillier.

For the first time since we launched, we will be commissioning more new dramatisations of popular children\'s novels.

It doesn\'t sound that different to me, but we\'ll have to wait and see how it all plays out. As long as the station is basically the same, I don\'t care if they call it \"Spot\".
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline SRD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »
\'tis a thin end of a very large wedge.
Children are like Slinkys - not much use for anything, but it always brings a smile to your face when you throw them down the stairs. Chinchilla

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
True SRD but Jan\'s right to keep the morale of the troops up I suppose. Further, denial isn\'t always such a bad place when reality is just impossible to take on board:(

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline conion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
SRD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> \'tis a thin end of a very large wedge.

I\'m currently trying to work out how long the UK radio broadcasts will continue before they decide that there aren\'t enough listeners to justify spending several million pounds out of a diminishing budget.

Any guesses? 4 years, 5 years, next year?

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »
Whaddya mean diminishing? To an idiot like me, it only seems to be on the increase, at least the sums they resesrve to toss down the drain at the boys in the boiler-room just so these can squander it on even more rubbish technology. In the end listeners won\'t have any content left to hang around for, Auntie will be reduced to a pile of effed up technology something akin to a car cemetery!

Wonder why sci-fi to project this inevitability hasn\'t yet been created ... a world without radio or public service and the chaos that will inevitably ensue? Sigh!

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:40:32 AM »
I\'m not an expert or anything, but it did seem sort of strange that they put so much into the iPlayer platform, when there were others available. I\'m not sure if I\'ve ever read why they wanted to do that.

The only thing I can think of, is that the other platforms didn\'t have as much control over content as they wanted.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »
control, control, harrumph. It\'s going to be all control and no content at this rate!

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
iPlayer seemed sort of redundant to me, but....there ya\' go.

(By the by, Congress are about to vote to dump the little funding they give PBS. So it\'s like that all over I suppose.)

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
Surely there was one recently (Bradbury?  Oh my memory!). where the only radio was Musak and reading books was a capital offence?   Perhaps the powers that be have actually been listening to their own programmes for once!